Illinois Ministries

Visit the Illinois Ministries Website at:

http://www.ilcog.org/






Friday, August 12, 2011

In The Meantime



I’ve thought a little bit more about ‘stuck times’ or ‘in the meantime’ seasons of life.  We all have them.  They can seem so long.  Recently I've had several ‘in the meantime’ experiences.  Having an office 2 hours away from my family… working through difficult financial times in State Ministries… building a million dollar building with $600,000 and no approval to borrow money… knowing that staff cuts were coming which I knew would lead to not working next to a dear friend in ministry.

Oh how we need the grace of God in those times.  I can think of no fancy term to describe it – only it scared me into fear and depression which led to embarrassment.  Although days are brighter and I am enjoying life and ministry, I have a confession.

In the meantime experiences caused me to wonder if I would ever get out of it.  Would I ever enjoy ministry again? The continual thought of "Eric, you are so out of your league." Only the spiritually elite could accomplish this task. 

I remembering learning about the Peter Principle in Business 101 – Elevating someone beyond their skills and then getting rid of them because they can’t perform the task.  I was now living the Peter Principle.  Nice!

Okay, enough whining.  Here’s the secret.  Don’t give up and stay where God puts you.  Stay strong through the clouds, waves, winds and rain.  Proverbs 13:12 – Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life!

‘Stuck Times’ can feel like years.  Delay does not mean denied.  Galatians 6:9, Don’t become weary in doing good, for at the proper time… or in due season… we will reap a harvest IF we don’t give up.”
When I was in college I remember a sermon that my pastor (Dave Shultz; still a favorite preacher) preached and it rings in my ears often – it was scripture but it was the way he said these words;
“In this world you will have trouble.  Cheer up! I have overcome the world.”

You have Jesus – Cheer up because He has overcome the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment