Illinois Ministries

Visit the Illinois Ministries Website at:

http://www.ilcog.org/






Friday, March 11, 2011

Urgency - family matters

I woke up yesterday in Decatur, IL ready for my two final days in the office before heading home and working from Shorewood next week. I was looking forward to breakfast with my wife, and lunch, and dinner.... But then then the phone rang.

My uncle who lives in AZ had a few hours to live and I needed to go be with my aunt. My brother and cousins have been changing turns during the illness. However, by this time we were literally handing off assignments so my aunt would not be alone. They are 94 and have never had children. We have been their kids!

My point- it's amazing how urgency can change plans to a busy and well ordered life. That's the life of every pastor... The day is planned for sermon writing and someone calls for counseling. You plan to run to the hospital and take the afternoon off but you end up visiting with the family for the afternoon. You are crunching for a meeting and your youth pastor needs coaching at Starbucks.

Here is what I love about pastors - you see these interruptions as holy interruptions and trust that God will take our well developed plans and make it okay!

God bless you and may your holy interruptions this day be blessed.

I have to go board the plane with my holy interruption.

Love ya!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Do I ever understand. We plan, then "The Tyranny of the Urgent"rears it's head. I had my agenda, I had my plans, but "stuff happens!
    I believe it was John Lennon who said, "Life happens while you are living life." You go with what is the urgent and important, and life will still go on, God will still work; perhaps more so because WE got out of the way. I pray you will be blessed, even as you are being a blessing. God is at work, and you, well you ae doing His will for this moment in time where you are right this minute.The other stuff you had planned, well it will indeed wait. Have a refreshing day.

    ReplyDelete