Illinois Ministries

Visit the Illinois Ministries Website at:

http://www.ilcog.org/






Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Quest of Serving in Your Sweet Spot

I believe that God created each of us with a perfect place to fit.  I just finished writing an article for Illinois’ LINK and I mention the ‘sweet spot’.  I think the sweet spot exists within every person.  I think God shaped us to have a perfect spot to serve.  I’m not getting all Joel Olsteen on you.  We still go through tough times.  We still work hard.  We still seek God’s will.

Yesterday I finished an Assessment on me as a pastor/leader.  The findings were painful to hear but certainly were a direct hit.  Ben Franklin said, “there are three things extremely hard: steel, a diamond, and to know one’s self.”   Getting to know yourself better allows you to understand where the sweet spot is.  What are the things in your life that you can become so involved with that nothing else matters and you would do it for free?  You are getting close to your sweet spot?

When I am not in my sweet spot, I work harder that I should and get less results.  I begin to worry about things that I can’t control.  I am easily distracted by all the things that I could be doing.  I try to convince myself that watching television is “being in the world but not of the world.”

When I am in my sweet spot, results flow from my work.  I have a dramatic sense that what I did mattered today.  I have a real joy in my service.

Where is your sweet spot?  Is it study, helping someone, giving to a need, writing an article, preaching, teaching, leading others...?  

Will Macini says that if you aren’t serving in your sweet spot, you will work in your sweat spot. He uses words like Lack of vision, exhaustion, monotony, distractions, and jealousy.  I’ve been there and don’t want to go back.  The more I can discover who I am, the better I can find my sweet spot.  I’m on the quest.  You wanna join me?

5 comments:

  1. Love the picture of “the sweet spot” Eric! The sweet spot on a golf club is the most effective hitting area on the club. For a duffer like me, the larger the sweet spot, the fewer the number of miss hits,…but you also lose some distance. Having a large sweet spot helps me to enjoy the game and gain self-confidence. But, there comes a time in every golfer’s life when you want to drive the ball a bit farther when you tee-off. A smaller sweet spot is the solution. I’m up for the quest! Good word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Eric. Now I want to go play golf but can't due to the wonderful mid-west weather conditions! So the burning question on my mind is "why didn't I know that there even was a sweet spot in ministy until a couple of years ago?" I like what Will says about, "if you aren’t serving in your sweet spot, you will work in your sweat spot." Wow...how many times I have found myself there! So much you begin to think ministry is suppossed to be done in the "sweat spot!" I would be very interested in seeing what we may be able to do on a State level in helping pastors find their "sweet spot!" Like the game of golf...I'm still working on my "ministry sweet spot!" Love the idea of evaluation, even when it is the hard truth...in accompanying one to better find the "sweet spot!"

    Drive for show, putt for dough...
    Pastor Joe Drew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric, (or anyone else)I would love to hear your thoughts on the "sweet spot" and the false implications that it can have on your ministry, (i.e.- if I am in my sweet spot, one could assume that there will be no conflict, struggle, or rough edges.) It is just so easy for me to think about the "sweet spot" and imagine a smooth problem free ministry/church, so help paint a more detailed picture of what the "sweet spot" looks like on my worst day?

    Thanks
    Pastor Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric, found your blog and I enjoyed the challenge, "Thanks, I needed that!"
    Be bold, be fresh, and keep blogging.
    Pastor David Rails

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eric, I came back for more! Yes, I had to re-read your blog about "Serving in the Sweet Spot!" You wrote, "I believe that God created each of us with a perfect place to fit." Since that is exactly where I am right now, struggling to find the right spot to minister, "The Sweet Spot", I needed to re-read this and it helped, thank you.

    ReplyDelete