Illinois Ministries

Visit the Illinois Ministries Website at:

http://www.ilcog.org/






Saturday, June 20, 2015

Shepherd, Lead Us!


 This is a letter that I sent to Senior Pastors as they prepare for Sunday Morning following the violent week of killing in Charleston, SC.  I am encouraging Pastors to be a Shepherd and lead their people in Romans 12:15 - weep with those that are weeping.

 
Shepherds!  I hope you never grow tired of hearing that title. Perhaps Shepherd and Servant Leader were two of the words that I prayed that the congregation I was serving saw more in my life than any other title that was attached to my name.

Shepherds, you have a great opportunity tomorrow in worship.  I am not referring to Father’s Day or perhaps a sermon with three points that begin with the same letter.  I am referring to the shepherding moment that you have with the congregation regarding the horrendous acts of violence, death,  and murder brought upon 9 precious people in Charleston, SC this week.  This senseless act of violence is not a time to raise a political bias or argue about race.  It is a time for Romans 12:15 – weep with those that are weeping.  My heart is broken.  My heart is broken for the families of these precious saints.  He heart is crying for their families tonight.  My heart is bleeding for black brother and sisters that are afraid, that are tired of racism, that are angry – my friends, it is not well with my heart tonight.

With the horrible acts of violence brought on by hatred and bigotry, friends, I feel more and more that I don’t belong in this world.  I don’t want to belong to a divided people.  I don’t want to belong to people who hate a color of skin or think less of a people who speak a different language.

And then I remember that I belong to a Kingdom of Peace – where love is the law.  I belong to a kingdom where broken hearts are healed, rich men give, dead men live and sinners become royalty.  I belong to a Kingdom of Peace where the color of your skin can be different from mine but you are my brother and sister.  I belong to a Kingdom whose King will reign supremely and will fill my heart with overflowing joy and confidence that this world is not my final home.

This Kingdom of Peace is what the world needs.  Preach the Kingdom message tomorrow – keep Jesus central – because, in the words of Andre Crouch’s song – Jesus is the answer.

Please take time to weep tomorrow.  Please take time to pray tomorrow.  You may not be popular by calling your church to remember, pray or weep.  Do it anyway.  Use your shepherd title wisely tomorrow.

I am praying for you as you lead,

Eric
Shepherd of Illinois Ministries




1 comment: