Illinois Ministries

Visit the Illinois Ministries Website at:

http://www.ilcog.org/






Friday, June 5, 2015

Does Mission Matter?



The church doesn’t have a mission, the mission has a church!

I’m not sure who said the true statement first but I have used it repeatedly as I have coached and mentored pastors and church leaders.  I have read mission statements that are long and short.  I have read a few that do not make sense to me and others that I wish I would have thought of first.  I have read mission statements that are really more vision statements but try to not argue about the correctness because the desire of my heart is that pastors and church leaders have clarity to what they are doing.

What is the difference between Mission and Vision?  It is easier to start by thinking about vision.  I encourage you to define vision as something that is seen, it is a preferred future that taps into your kingdom potential.  A mission is what you do.

Lisa and I have a mission and vision for our marriage.  Our mission is to have a healthy and growing marriage.  Our vision is to grow old together, enjoy one another, know each other deeply, never lose intimacy… Our vision is to laugh together and appreciate each other, it is to touch one another and feed one another with kindness and forgiveness. 

Do you see the difference?  The mission is basic and simple.  But the vision describes a healthy marriage that we desire, not that we have already attained it but we press forward.

For the church, the mission is connected to the Great Commandment and the Great Commission.  It is basic and simple to understand.  The mission is to make disciples. Some churches say, “love God, love others and serve the world” while others proclaim, “reach up, reach in and reach out”.  It is based on the model that Jesus left for us, it is the task that the Savior requires of us.  We are God’s plan to change the world by the message of hope and salvation for the world.

What do you do?  How would you say it?  Remember, mission is not your preferred future or how you do what you do.  It is basic and simply said, share and to the point.

Think about mission and discuss it at your next board meeting.  Download the free worksheet that helps churches define mission for their unique calling.

1 comment: