Illinois Ministries

Visit the Illinois Ministries Website at:

http://www.ilcog.org/






Monday, July 15, 2013

Consistency - A Key to Remapping

Okay - back to the subject thought of Remapping -  What type of leadership does it take to remap a congregation?  I have good news.  It has nothing to do with your degree, where you went to school, if you live in the north or south or somewhere in between.  It takes Consistency! Consistency slowly begins to drive the vision further down the road.  In every meeting, in every message, in every lunch gathering... be consistent with the vision that God has given you. 

It is not difficult to follow a map when you know where you are going.  It is not difficult to get to your destination once you have determined it.  Sometimes it's hard to remap a situation when you are so close to it.  So, here's a thought or activity.  I do this all the time with businesses in the community. I think to myself, if I were the owner of this (fill in the blank) car wash, restaurant, dealership, grocery store, whatever... how would I start remapping.  Most of the time it begins with the employees.  Maybe it is a change in a menu or a cook!  Perhaps I would use more water or soap if I managed a certain car wash.  My ideas come because I think about where I would want to take this business.

A few days ago, I revisited a great place in Peoria for ice cream.  I spent so many nights there when I was in high school My girl friend worked there, so that was good.  But it was ice cream, chili dogs, tenderloins, shakes... and my friends.  The place is called Emo's.  I stood in line waiting to order a sugar free cone (that's one thing that changed) and I thought of the gold that has come into this business for over 30 years.  They do a lot of things right.  But if I were the manager, I bet I could think of some things to change. 

Here's an activity: How would you remap a local business in your community?  It is probably safer for your leaders to talk about a failing restaurant than it is your church.  Spend 30 minute on that.... then shift the question to remapping your church.

No comments:

Post a Comment