Illinois Ministries

Visit the Illinois Ministries Website at:

http://www.ilcog.org/






Thursday, November 3, 2011

Take yourself less seriously


I live in a world that is performance driven.  Most of the pressure I have in my life would ease up if I would allow them.  I know the pressure is not coming from God.  I don’t think pressure is the tool of choice to mold and shape us that God prefers.  I’m confident that God will use pressurized situations. God will use busy schedules or God will use seasons of absent Sabbaths to reach us.  However, God also could just as easy use a rainy day like today or a crisp fall day like yesterday to speak to us. 

God wants to work ‘in’ you more than He wants to work ‘through’ you.  What does that say to performance driven people?  At the end of the day it means the question I need to ask is “God, what are you doing in my life – what are you wanting to chip at, bless or talk about?”  Honestly, it’s often, “God, I sure worked hard today for you, I earned the check today, Father!  I sure honored you by the encouragement I shared with that pastor."

Then I remember – God is interested in what He’s doing in me not through me.  Could it be that the most productive time I spend with God is early in the morning with a cup of coffee and my Bible?  Maybe it’s not the conference call or counseling time?  Perhaps it’s not a meeting that I led well but the time in the car following the meeting while I’m alone with God praying or listening to “great things He has taught us, great things He has done and great our rejoicing through Jesus, God’s Son. Praise the Lord!”

I need to take myself less seriously and take God more seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment