Illinois Ministries

Visit the Illinois Ministries Website at:

http://www.ilcog.org/






Thursday, January 29, 2015


Why I Think Coaching Works

 

1.  Let’s define a clear purpose.


So many churches and pastors struggle with defining a clear purpose.  They can tell me what they do: Weekend Services, preach, visit, teach, etc…  They can even tell me how they go about doing what they do.  For the most part, they are very confident in their techniques.  What they struggle articulating is WHY they do what they do, REALLY.

 What is the purpose behind a message?  What is the purpose behind a visit?  What is the purpose behind a meeting?

 There’s a good chance you do what you were told to do or taught to do.  For instance, I took Monday’s off for years because my mentor took Mondays off.  Thursday was my study day because my pastor 40 years ago talked about his Thursday study day.

 Discovering WHY you do something is important. 

 So, WHY do you preach?  Teach, Transform, Help, Encourage…. Once you answer the why then you can adjust ‘what’.

 Now let’s ask this:  Why do you church?

 2.  Who is in your corner?

 I want to know who the pastor has on his team.  Who is supportive?  Who is on the team?  Working with a great team is power.

“Give a great idea to a mediocre team and they will mess it up.  But give a mediocre idea to a great team, and they will pull it off or make it better,” writes Ed Catmull, the President of Pixar.

Have you ever written a sermon with a team?  Planned an event with a team?  I am not talking about a committee but high powered individuals that are passionate about walking with you.  There’s nothing like it. 

I have worked with people that have drained the life out of me and I have worked with others that bring the best out in me – who do you think I would rather work with?

3.  Goals Vs Plans.

When I first started in ministry 30 years ago it was all about setting goals but then no time given to implementing a plan.  Then the pendulum shifted to plans and goals were not talked about.  I think both are important.

Goals are worth anything without a plan?

Do you want to be a better preacher?  What’s the plan?

Do you want your church to grow 20% this year?  What’s the plan?

Do you want your church to become a praying church?  What’s the plan?

Want to be a better husband?  What’s your plan?

Set goals then work the plan.

This is what a coach can help with.  As I work with pastors and church leaders, I am constantly talking about these three areas – What is your purpose?  Who can help you?  What's the plan?

I would love to help your church or your pastor with this?  Let me know how I could serve you?

eric@ilcog.org

No comments:

Post a Comment