Illinois Ministries

Visit the Illinois Ministries Website at:

http://www.ilcog.org/






Friday, September 9, 2011

My Focus Today: Leading Me! Tough Day....

The most important person you will ever lead is not your staff, your family, your church… The most important person you will ever lead is yourself. 

I don’t know about you but leading self can be difficult.  Leading yourself to make wise decisions.  Leading yourself to eat right.  Leading yourself to exercise.  Leading yourself to Love God first.  

It’s much easier to point fingers and ‘mutter’ (see Luke 15) about what everyone else needs to do to change.  How many times have I thought, “Life would be easy to fix if I were them.  Here’s what they should do.”  Yep, I can fix your life but it’s mine that’s tough and the reason mine is tough is, “ME!”

It’s easy to forget that I must be growing and changing in order to effectively lead other people. The best gift I give to my family, to pastors and church leaders, to my staff is my growth and development plan.  Then, when I as the leader, start to grow and change, guess what I begin to see happen? People around me start to grow and change. 

Everything rises and falls on leadership.

1)   How are you leading yourself?
2)   What is your personal growth and development plan?
3)   What are your personal growth areas?
4)   What specific steps could you begin to take to grow in these areas?

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts Eric. It is easy to lose sight of the person staring you in the mirror every morning and instead focus on others.

    Hey, I have a topic I would love to have you address in the blog for October (pastor app month). How do you instill an appreciation for the pastorate in your congregation without it coming across as if you want to be appreciated (i.e. selfishly motivated). Down the road I want our church to be one that appreciates and honors their pastor(s).

    ReplyDelete